South America Border Crossings
Colombia – Ecuador
Rumichaca Border Crossing ( 18 December 2016-Sunday)
Total time 2 hours and 30 minutes (Colombia 30 min, Ecuador 2 hours)
Rumichaca border is 2 miles far away from Ipiales. Fill your tank at ipiales before heading to border because gas stations close to border on Ecuador side are not selling gas foreign vehicles.
We waited longer at Ecuador immigration due to huge line. Some riders crossed much faster.
- Park the motorcycle and walk to immigration.
- Stamp out from country.
- The next building with red door is the Aduana. Go back of the immigration building and enter the red door. drop your import documentation
There is no fee and copies going out from Colombia.
That’s it. Now, you can drive to Ecuador.
- Park motorcycle in front of immigration/ aduana
- Go to immigration and stamp your passport.
- The Aduana next to immigration unfortunately not doing the moto import. You need to turn the building and see a small extension with one door and all windows. There is one officer in that small extension that handles the moto import.
- She asked original driver license, passport and title. She took a picture with phone.
- She walked to the moto and took a picture of VIN and plate.
- Back to same building to enter the information. She prints out the documentation and you need to get printed copies from the Aduana window. Back to her office, she stamps and done.
There is no fee and copies on Ecuador immigration or Aduana.
No insurance necessary for Ecuador.
Ecuador – Peru
Macara Border Crossing ( 9 January 2017 – Monday)
Total time 1 hours (Ecuador 10 min, Peru 50 min)
It took 10 minutes to finish paper work in Ecuador immigration and Aduana. There are 2 containers on the left side before leaving the Ecuador. One container is for immigration and other one is for Aduana. (Note: Ecuadorian side is constructing a new building)
- Stamped out from Ecuador
- Aduana officer collects the import documentation.
You are now free to go Peruvian side. Cross the bridge, you see Peruvian immigration and Aduana about 100 meters on the right.
- Stamped your passport
- Walk 20 meters to a market on the right side to get SOAT insurance. It is $33 for a month when we crossed in January 2017.
- Back to Aduana and hand your SOAT, driver license, registration, passport. No fee required at Aduana. The office get the copies so you do not need to go and copy your documentation.
You are now good to ride in Peru.
Peru – Chile
Concordia (Santa Rosa) – Arica Border Crossing ( 23 January 2017 – Monday)
Total time 1 hours and 45 minutes (Peru 30 min, Chile 1 hour 15 minutes)
- Park the motorcycle
- Walk into the immigration office
- Ask for the form for motorcycle to fill
- Hand your passport and form for stamped
- Go back to moto and ride to the other side of building.
- Go to the Aduana (CIT office) and hand the import documentation
- No copies and fee required when you are leaving Peru.
Now you can ride to Chile
We moved and parked motorcycles in front of the Chile immigration.
- Go to the line for immigration, fill the form.
- Ride the park into Aduana area.
- Get your bags into the x-ray room, the form is collected before x-ray room.
- Go inside Aduana, fill form and get your import permit
- No fee and copies required in Chilean side.
Note: Chile and Peru have 2 hours time difference. Chile is 2 hours ahead so plan your crossing accordingly. Arica is 15 minutes far away if you want to stay.
Chile – Argentina